Wednesday, July 1, 2020

#my[teacher]story

It took me longer than normal to begin working through my stack of summer reading books.  Typically, I'm so excited for the change of pace that I'm ready to dive into reading the first day of summer break.  Due to this year's circumstances [global pandemic] I needed the mental break from EVERYTHING once school officially ended.  The first book I picked up and devoured from my summer reading stack was Stories from Webb by Todd Nesloney.  This was the PERFECT kick-off to my summer reading.......and EXACTLY what I needed to hear.  Most people don't know my story.  Thanks to the encouragement from Todd, I'm ready to share #my[teacher]story that has led me to where I am today.



Everyone has a story, a journey that they've traveled to get to where they are.  My journey as a teacher began in 2012.  After graduating from college ready to take on the world and have a classroom of my own, I finally landed my first position [3rd grade teacher at a Title I school].......FOUR DAYS BEFORE TEACHER WORK WEEK!  That first back-to-school season was a whirlwind.  There really was no time to process what was happening, prep for the year, review curriculum, form bonds with new staff or anything else for that matter.  After accepting the position, the next day began daily new teacher workshops and PD sessions which led right into teacher work week, and then the start of my first year as a brand new teacher with my own classroom.  I didn't mind the whirlwind {again.....BRAND NEW excited teacher} because I was so excited to have my own classroom.  I definitely learned A TON that first year, and I was blessed to be surrounded by a supportive team, wonderful faculty, and an amazing mentor.  During my post-observation meeting with my administrators that first year, I was encouraged to consider furthering my education to become an administrator as they saw leadership qualities in me.  Therefore, I applied-was accepted-and began an online master's program for administration and supervision.  My second year of teaching, I had the opportunity to remain at the same school with most of the same team, and I was asked to serve as team leader.  Year two was another year of LOTS of learning, growing, and hard work, but I wouldn't trade a minute of those first 2 years.  There's just something about the community in a Title I environment.  The staff truly has one another's backs, and I love coming up with new creative ways to meet the needs of my kiddos.  I also finished the master's program and received my degree in administration and supervision that year.  

Year 3 was a challenging year.  I ended up in situations that were both mentally and physically harmful the first few months, and it was decided that it was in my best interest to transfer.  Move #1 happened during winter break that year.  It was heartbreaking to say goodbye to my 3rd graders as they left for winter break knowing I wouldn't be their teacher when they returned after break, but my well-being {physical & emotional} needed to be the focus.  My family helped me pack, load, move, and completely set up a new classroom in ONE day over winter break.  After winter break, I began my new position (as a 4th grade teacher) at my new school.  I took over a class of students that had seen their share of inconsistency - they were on long term substitute #5 when I transferred.  I'm thankful for the love and support I was given as I finished out my 3rd year as a teacher.  

After a very different year 3, I continued my journey at the same school......
  • another year in 4th grade where I had the opportunity to work with an amazing team and serve as a mentor for a brand new teacher who became one of my greatest teacher friends
  • two years in 3rd grade with a DREAM TEAM ~ you know....that team where everyone just clicks and loves to hang out inside and outside of school
  • and two growing years in 2nd grade maneuvering challenges, new curriculum, and fixed mindsets 
I also had the opportunity to begin working with my former high school band director as the colorguard coach!

That's a quick snapshot of my eight year journey to this point.  Something I've learned about myself over these 8 years, I CAN teach anyone anything as I'm always up for the challenge and learning something new.  However, I've also learned that I have a heart for Title I communities.  There's just something about the Title I communities that brings my heart joy when I see the impact and difference I make as a teacher.  Although we have no idea what the start of next school year will look like, I am thrilled that I will be starting a new chapter as a 3rd grade teacher in a Title I school!!!  

What's your story?  Comment and share below.
Thank you for reading #my[teacher]story! 




       

No comments:

Post a Comment